Monday, November 2, 2015

Week 11 - Reading Diary A

For the next two weeks I will be reading Ramayana: 3392 AD. It is a retelling of the Ramayana in a dystopian setting. A dystopia is a place that is the opposite of a utopia. It generally refers to a place where the vast majority of people are unhappy and afraid, usually because they are treated unfairly by means of oppression and control.

After reading the first of four sections, this graphic novel is living up to the expectations I had for it. I thoroughly enjoy the dystopian films that I have watched in the past such as Blade Runner, Equilibrium, and the Matrix trilogy. One of my favorite video games of all time, Half Life 2, is a dystopian story.

Ramayana: 3392 AD
source


The first thing I noticed about this graphic novel are the illustrations. It shows a futuristic setting with technology and advanced architecture. The lighting, however, is dark in most of the images. It helps to show the gloominess of this world. The writing is very good too. This first section covers the Ramayana up to the point where Rama is cast out into the wilderness for 14 years.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this graphic novel.

1 comment:

  1. Tyler, I was so excited to see this pop up in the blog stream. I am really curious what you will think about this one: I thought it was very cool! I learned about it from an Indian friend at Google+. Blade Runner and Matrix are some of my favorite movies too... it would be pretty amazing if they made this graphic novel (it's part of a longer series in fact!) into a movie! I haven't seen Equilibrium. It sounds like I should watch it!

    ReplyDelete