Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Week 5 Storytelling - Ben and his new rifle

One day all of the brothers and cousins had gone out to go camping in a federal fort near the Rio Grande River. They had spent some time there and went out looking for game, spending time hunting and finding trails for future outings. One evening they all had set up camp and got a fire going. Daryl had decided to cook for everyone and made a large pot of sofkey and biscuits while all of the others tied up the horses, laid out their pallets and prepared for the night. Daryl, having finished cooking, ladled out a wholesome portion of the hot concoction into a wooden bowl.

“Cousin! First bowl is for you, been a long day.” 

Nodding his head, Ben took the bowl of sofkey from Daryl and said, “Thanks, Daryl, tracking game can make a man mighty hungry!”

Daryl, however, had ulterior motives and wanted to kill Ben. Before Daryl fed Ben, he placed some poisonous mushrooms in his bowl, mashed them into a paste, and then filled the bowl with sofkey. The poison was quite effective and Ben fell ill in a matter of hours. In the middle of the night, Ben got up from his bedding and, in a hazy stupor, stumbled towards and into the river.

After floating down the river for a few hours he was pulled out by some local Navajo Indians. Their wise men looked over Ben and immediately knew the cause of his sickness. They fed him some fish, fresh picked herbs, and a drink made from berries and wood ashes. Ben was instantly better. These Indians had heard of the many great feats and stories of Ben and his brothers. Vaskala, the Chief of this village, was delighted to help Ben. He felt honored to have saved him and even went further by providing him with a new Winchester lever-action rifle that had been gifted to him by a legendary hunter. This rifle had been modified to shoot more powerful bullets compared to most other rifles.

Ben with his new rifle.


Ben stayed with the Navajo for over a week, recuperating and going on hunts. When he returned to the fort, his brothers and family saw him could not believe their eyes. They thought they were seeing a ghost! In the end, Ben had overcome the plans of Daryl and survived the assassination attempt on his life. After the whole course of events, he was cured of his ailments and given a new and powerful weapon which made him a mightier warrior.

Title: Indian Myth and Legend
Author: Donald A. Mackenzie
Year: 1913

Author's note
Once again I decided to go with a Western theme though it is less obvious with the content and plot of this story. It does follow the same idea as the original story of Bhima and the Nagas though the plot devices are a little different. In the original story, Bhima had been poisoned by Duryodhana. Bhima ends up going down into the world of the Nagas who give him extraordinary strengths. The changes in the story are primarily the setting, being 1800s in the Western United States. The names have also been changed. The image primarily shows a frontiersman with a quality rifle which is meant to show Ben and his “new rifle.” Overall, my goal was to attempt to retell another story with the Western setting that I had used before. I think the overall execution is good but I do feel that there is not as much detail to this story. The plot here is kind of hefty so I think I spent most of my writing time getting through the plot. I will probably attempt to add more detail and perhaps more background when I revise. This story should go into my portfolio quite nicely and will look good alongside the other stories there once I add a little more meat to it.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Tyler!
    I really enjoyed reading your story. It was very entertaining. I liked how it started out as a nice story about a family going on a hunting/ camping trip but then it turned into something more sinister. It caught me off guard and made me wanting to read more. The image you included fit very well into you story. It really captures Ben and his new rifle. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tyler! I really enjoyed this story! The western theme is something I haven't experimented, but according to your author's note it seems like you have played with it before haha! You seem to be mastering it very well. I also really like your picture, it really does a good job capturing the theme of your story. It sets the mood. I also enjoyed the twist in your story, making it darker. But overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! For week 5 we literraly wrote about the same part of the epic but had different stroy settings. I loved the way you made your story. It definitely had a more realistic tone than my did. I never even thought of adding native americans as the "nagas." I loved the creativity you had and the direction you took the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! For week 5 we literraly wrote about the same part of the epic but had different stroy settings. I loved the way you made your story. It definitely had a more realistic tone than my did. I never even thought of adding native americans as the "nagas." I loved the creativity you had and the direction you took the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome story. I just got done reading Claire's story that was Western themed, so this was very fitting. I think this is a really good analogy for the story of Bhima and the Nagas. The setting was perfect, because it can very easily be digested and the parallels are easy to connect. The story was short, sweet, and delivered the point across perfectly. I think using the Native Americans as the Nagas was a really clever addition also. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tyler! It seems like we were on the same wavelength for Storytelling this week, as we both set our stories in a Western-ish setting! They're very different though, so that just goes to show how you can take all kinds of different directions with different inspirations. I had to look up the food your characters were eating, but once I did I learned something new! If you have the word count to spare, I might hint at what it is, just because I wasn't sure and didn't want to pause the story in the middle to go figure out what it was. I also appreciate your pretty accurate portrayal of Ben's illness--it's funny, but I think often when people are sick they have a tendency to wander off places when they know they shouldn't. It worked out fine for Ben this time though! I also totally understand your dilemma between detail and moving the plot forward. That's something I struggle with every week, but I think you did a great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tyler, I was so happy to have a chance to come back and visit your portfolio project. Once again, they story fits in perfectly with the overall theme of your project. I like how the characters are new in each of your stories, but the setting remains the same. Having that common thread throughout your portfolio makes the various stories less choppy, if that makes sense. Like you said in your author’s note, there’s quite a lengthy plot to get through here. However, you did a great job hitting all of the important parts and using vivid descriptions at the same time. The only detail I found myself yearning for as a reader was Daryl’s motives. Why did he want Ben dead? Was he jealous? Did something happen earlier that day? That’s the only question I have as I leave this piece. You did a great job, and I think you have a really good project here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tyler!
    So I really like what you’ve done with this story! Despite the setting and name differences, I could instantly tell which Epic story you were using as the basis of your portfolio story. I think that using the western setting with the Navajo as the saviors was a great difference between the portfolio story and original story!

    I really liked the detail that you put into the story with the new rifle, the mushrooms, and the cure for the mushrooms. Also, what is “softkey”? Overall, I didn’t really notice any glaring grammar mistakes or paragraph spacing problems, which is great! Now I haven’t read your other portfolio stories yet, but I do plan on making my way through them so I can compare this story to the others. As far as I am concerned, this story was a great success and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete