Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Reading Diary A: PDE

I have decided to read the Ramayana Online: Public Domain Edition partly because I am interested to see the different ways that the various authors have interpreted the Ramayana.

One of the first things that stuck out to me, right in the first page is the description of the palace of Dasharatha. This was a palace that projected strength and power and I enjoyed description of the fierceness of its guards.

I also enjoyed it quite a bit when Rama was able to obtain the celestial weapons from Vishwamitra after defeating Thataka. It was new and interesting to me that they appeared as spirits

Rama and Lakshmana battle the Rakshasas

Another story that I thought was interesting was when Rama was able to complete the challenge of King Janaka with ease. It reminded me very much of the story of the sword in the stone, where only one good person, true in heart and mind, could take hold and remove a sword that was thrust into a stone and anvil. Rama is only rajah that seems to be capable of handling the bow and thus wins the right to take and marry Sita.

Generally speaking, I do enjoy how important the bow and archery seems to be in these stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment