Sunday, August 30, 2015

Week 1 Curation

Bookmarks. Holy crap, bookmarks. I find bookmarks to be an incredibly valuable tool for keeping "my internet" organized. I put "my internet" in quotes because I can go into my bookmarks and it's like looking at my piece of the internet, all there, just a couple clicks away. It could be compared to moving around all the classrooms I need on campus into one section, or one floor, of one building where each classroom I need is literally only a matter of seconds away.

I don't do much curation myself on the internet. Sure I look at facebook, watch youtube, check out a few things a week on instagram. I'm a viewer, primarily. I wouldn't have much to look at though if it weren't in fact for those who put in countless hours across the internet on sites and apps, creating and organizing content that I like to view. 

One of my favorite places on the internet is Reddit. It definitely has its dark areas and its fair share of trolls but I have been able to find a lot of useful information and even share a little bit here and there. For example, this is the current /r/Archery sub-reddit. All on the first page is content that has been submitted in the last day or two. At a quick glance, you can see where someone submitted a beginners guide wiki, people asking questions, and someone sharing a video about "extreme bow fishing" (which sounds awesome, by the way).

screen capture of www.reddit.com/r/Archery

3 comments:

  1. I also find that the bookmarks are incredibly useful. I have so many because I love how easily I can access all the things that I want or need on a daily basis. This is especially useful for school work because everything can be on numerous different websites and now I have a one click access to it all. I also use pinterest to bookmark but I just started that with this class. Its pretty useful thing to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tyler!
    I agree with you that bookmarks are a great tool. It really helps me to stay organized during the school year. The school year can be kind of stressful and overwhelming. Like you I do not do much curation as well. I am really just a facebook or Instagram user. I look forward to reading more your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler, I also used bookmarks as one of my curation assignments. I had never used them before this class, and now I don’t know how I ever operated without them! I’ve found them especially useful for this class where I use so many different links to “travel” through various research resources and reading assignments. Having all of those webpages organized has made me a much more efficient student!

    ReplyDelete