Sunday, August 30, 2015

Growth Mindset

I like the ideas discussed in the videos by Carol Dweck . They make more sense to me than some of the rigid, unbending rules from older thoughts of learning and teaching. I have, in some form, came to similar conclusions in my own life over the last decade. Being 29 years of age, the primary education classrooms I experienced in my youth are probably further away from this "growth mindset" compared to the primary education classrooms of today.

When I was younger, mistakes would bother me. If it was at school, mistakes came with results like bad grades and scolding from the parents. The time I have spent in the workforce over the better part of the last decade helped me overcome this. I slowly began to treat mistakes as moments where something could be learned rather than feeling something along the lines of failure or inadequacy. This image that was only recently posted along the #growthmindset twitter hashtag struck a chord with me. I worked in a garden center during much of my recent undergraduate semesters.

source



* have you heard of Carol Dweck and/or the growth mindset before? how did you learn about it?
I have never before heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset but I have in a roundabout way learned this on my own to some extent.

* how do you see yourself on the spectrum of growth-fixed mindset in your school work? what about in other aspects of your life? (for example, if you are an athlete, can you relate to this from a sports perspective?)
I certainly wont claim to be completely on the growth end of the spectrum but I know i'm not on the fixed end either. The growth mindset has allowed me to learn new jobs faster and with less grief. I have found that the growth mindset can also be applied to communication and personal relationships as well.

* do you think you'll be interested in learning more about the growth mindset this semester?
I am interested in learning more about this.

* do you have any personal learning goals for this semester? any class that you are really excited about? or a class your are worried about? (I would be really happy if learning about growth mindset could help you in your work not for just this class, but in other classes too!)
This is the only class that I am taking this semester and also the very last class I am taking to complete my undergraduate studies. This will however help me learn more efficiently at any new jobs that I will have in my post college days

4 comments:

  1. Tyler, I totally can relate to you in that, when I was younger, mistakes would also bother me for a very long time. I am a perfectionist and also impatient, so anything that I cannot get right the first time, tends to become the bane of my existence so to speak. I am glad that your time in the workforce helped you to overcome your mistakes as we are human and all make mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting and cool to me that you started to really encounter the growth mindset (even if not by that name) in the workforce. From the couple summers I've spent working, I've seen that those with a growth mindset tend to progress faster, get more work done, and generally do better than their peers than those with a fixed mindset. I'm still learning how to process failure as just another stepping stone, and even better, something to learn from. How cool is it that this is your last class for your degree! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tyler!
    I really liked the image you put in your growth mindset and the quote included in it. I never really thought about something like that. That maybe sometimes what is believed to be the problem is not actually the problem but the environment around it. This makes sense to me because external factors can be really influential. I look forward to reading more your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Tyler!
    I learned something different when I read this post. When I was in China, teachers told me students do not care about bad grades and parents do not scold children for bad grades. Now I know it was a rumor.
    Mistakes are our friend if we can overcome the frustrations that come together with mistakes. Without frustrations, mistakes make us grow.

    ReplyDelete